Sunday, April 15, 2012

White Sands National Monument


April 14, 2012

I’m just outside of Alamogordo, New Mexico in a State Park and it was quite a journey getting here. The guys at the Discount Tire in El Paso were great. Short story is 1 blown trailer tire and 1 trailer tire with separated treads and the Big Taco was a rear truck tire had separated treads. 3 new tires and my vibration is gone and my trailer spares are restored.  A special thank you to a dear friend who gave me a Saint Christopher medallion for the trip, it’s working.

My last day in Big Bend I hiked the Lost Mine Trail, 2.5 miles up and 2.5 miles back down and it’s 1100 feet of up and down. The view from the end of the trail was worth the effort. I’m assuming I have corrected the access to photos so you’ll be able to see the amazing rocks.  My left knee is complaining loudly after the 1100 feet up and down.
Between it and mother nature I was calling a rest day for the knee but White Sands closes the dunes in high winds and it’s been gusting up to 50mph and I wokeup this morning to a dust storm to go with the wind. I hope White sands is open tomorrow.  The posted weather for the Park called for a low tonight in the 30’s. It’s 51 outside and 55 in the camper right now,10pm, and the wind is still blowing. I went and put my thermal undies on, they are working nicely. So today I went grocery shopping and washed clothes at a laundry mat. I also got some parts from Home Depot and braced the broken bracket on our bike rack. It seems quite strong. Good thing I brought my drill along.  The day after tomorrow I’m heading for the Gila Cliff Dwellings in southwest New Mexico. It’s way out and I expect no modern day services but I’m looking forward to its remoteness. There are also some hot springs ready to help an aching knee.    

I made to White Sands today and it's neat. Had a low of 43 last night and the heaters in the mattress kept my butt warm. Heading for Gila Cliff Dwellings tomorrow. I think the new photos are now visible, sorry for the user errors, I'm a rookie who will never make to the majors of blogging. Frankly I wouldn't want to as this is becoming a bit of a chore. hopefully I get better and more efficient. Try them here.https://picasaweb.google.com/103943218564105837637                   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying your commentary from the last couple of entries - shows your sense of humor, even when you had triple tire trouble! Pictures are great! We never made it to White Sands (looks like snow). Did you take a row-boat trip across the river at Big Bend? Cost us $1.00 each way to go to the little Mexican village! Enjoy the cliff dwellings.
      73, Paul

      Delete
  2. Dave,
    Glad to hear the tire circus ended well. I was praying there would be no collateral damage when they went. There was no question they were going to go! White sands looks like Regency area when I was kid, after the titanium strip mining, or Ponte Vedra before the Yankees came. Downtown San Antonio is beautiful.
    Be Safe. Have fun.
    William

    ReplyDelete